Blog image

You Can’t Sit with Us

By : May 19, 2020 Comments Off
Not checking a box left me on my own gay island In seventh grade, I learned a new word: Bisexual. “What’s that mean?” I asked. “It’s when you like both boys and girls,” one of my friends said. There wasn’t just one, but two girls in my grade who were bisexual. I never felt like the other girls I hung out with and maybe that was why. Amber was more tomboyish and Shoshana was more girly, but I never felt like either one of them exactly, so I wasn’t sure if I was actually bisexual but I kept it in my back pocket just in case. Okay, so bisexual means I can like boys and girls. But do I like any girls or do I just think they’re really pretty?
Read more
Blog image

I Knew I Had A Non-Binary Gender Identity In Kindergarten

Bullying became my norm, and the bathrooms and locker rooms, where teachers were nowhere to be found, became dangerous. This article was featured in the HuffPost Beyond Binaries series on March 15, 2017 after the Trump Administration rescinded protections for transgender students under Title IX. Given that protections for transgender students have just been rescinded at the federal level, our youth that are afraid of the consequences of coming out need a voice. Here is my story. It was 1997. I was five. That’s when I first had to make the decision on which bathroom to use. I was in gym class, with a basketball between my feet, when suddenly nature was calling. In fact, she was banging at the door. Normally I would have used the single stall bathroom
Read more
Blog image

Coming out in India: How to Tackle the Dilemma?

Being an Asian, it’s inherent that I belong to a community that is very strict and conservative about the way matters of family are curated and concerned. When it comes to sexuality,at school, we aren't taught much how to deal with an umbrella topic that has such a wide scope and nuances. Having a friend in high school who was gay, taught me an important lesson in life: how does a person deal with something so delicate and how can one's life revolve around it entirely. This friend was Jai, who was an average shy Indian boy, always used to get awkward amongst our group; which consisted of many guys. When we were in our early adolescence, we just deemed him as an introvert, who doesn't like to mess with
Read more
Blog image

North of Oblivion

By : May 18, 2020 Comments Off
How my depression led me to want to die and why it didn’t happen. Trigger warning: this article discusses depression, mental health and suicidal ideation. “I’m sorry, but I can’t do this anymore.” That was it.  That was the note.  It was 2005 and I’d decided my life wasn’t worth living. I was tired of being depressed, afraid to live in my truth and most of all feeling that no one would ever accept me or love me.  I was alone in the bathroom with a bottle of sleeping pills and cried.  To understand how I got here, we have to back up a bit. I’ve always been different. My family is full of big personalities but I was more reserved in comparison. They preferred attention grabbing activities and careers.
Read more