Blog image

How my Community Keeps me Going

By : August 22, 2020 Comments Off
The people we have around us play a major role in who we are and how we act. That is why a healthy community is so important because if you keep people around you that support a healthy environment for you then you will be able to stay in a healthy mindset more easily. But that is far easier said than done. Speaking from my own experience, ever since elementary school, I always had trouble making friends, let alone intertwining myself in any community. I would have one or two friends and even from them, I was constantly anxious that if I made the wrong move I would lose them forever. It was a consistent issue for me that I would have to discuss with my teachers and parents often.
Read more
Blog image

Navigating Professional Settings as a Nonbinary Person

By : August 19, 2020 Comments Off
Navigating Professional Settings as a Non-Binary/Trans* Person Coming out as non-binary or trans* can be uncomfortable in straight, cis-normative settings - especially the workplace. At work, we may not feel we can speak up when we are uncomfortable, defend ourselves from inappropriate comments, or express ourselves in the same way would if we were off the clock. We may not have LGBTQ+ colleagues or friends at work who can relate to our experiences or allies we can turn to for support when we need help. We may fear potential consequences of coming out such as discrimination, harassment, or disciplinary action. Coming out has been an important and deeply personal part of my journey to live an authentic and meaningful life, and when I share this aspect of my identity with
Read more
Blog image

Does an LGBT Person Die?

By : August 19, 2020 Comments Off
“Does an LGBT Person Die” is one of the newer subcategories on the website, doesthedogdie.com. A site originally created to help people avoid movies where dogs die on-screen now extends the same courtesy to us in the LGBT community. Seems pretty specific, but when you click on the page, it becomes all too obvious why this is important. I counted well over 400 entries of users marking LGBT death on screen. These are all examples of movies, TV shows, and video games where a character is identified as LGBT in some way and then subsequently killed off. How am I supposed to feel about this? Are they martyrs or casualties? I could see it in a positive light. That’s over 400 stories where the audience sees LGBT characters represented. In
Read more
Blog image

Communication And Default Expectations

By : August 2, 2020 Comments Off
Being in only about one significant romantic relationship for my whole life, I had never explored whether or not I was possibly anything other than straight. I was fortunate enough that I didn’t face any familial pressure on the subject either way. Even though most of my family falls somewhere on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, I had always assumed I was the “societal default” or a cis-gendered heterosexual woman, probably due to the “othering” that goes on in media of the LGBTQIA+ community.  As a college student, I have taken gender and sexuality studies classes before, but I had never looked internally, only externally. Recently, I took a class called Biology 30: Human Sex and Sexuality (fondly referred to on campus as “dirty thirty”). This class was taught by the youngest
Read more
Blog image

Freedom for All or Freedom for None

By : August 2, 2020 Comments Off
I have rigorously studied the LGBTQ movement in this country, and unfortunately, it tends to be white washed, or patriarchal in the way our history is portrayed. It is extremely important that we pay homage and shed light on the groups of people who forced equality into existence. I was taught that LGBTQ rights started during the Stonewall riots in 1969, and it was presumed that white men were the main contributors due to the media portrayal of the riots. Also, the very limited discussion of the riots that occurred in introductory LGBTQ studies courses only mentioned the riots involved gay men. Though I’m sure unintentionally, that narrative disregards the efforts of women, non binary, and trans bodies. Of course, white men were integral to the movement, but the backbone
Read more
Blog image

Surviving a Queer High School Relationship from Teen to Adult

By : July 18, 2020 Comments Off
The mainstream narrative surrounding high school relationships is usually to break up when both of the individuals go to college. It is hard enough transitioning from being a child to a young adult without outside pressure to break up with the person who has been your support system. This is especially hard for gay couples because often times, as was the case with me, our partner is the only person who fully understands what we are going through as a queer person in society.  I met my girlfriend when we were fifteen, we started dating when we were sixteen, and we are now twenty-four and going strong. Both of our parents accepted our relationship, but they would constantly tell us that we needed to “find ourselves” in college. Sometimes I
Read more