Blog image

Finding Comfortability

By : December 20, 2020 01 Comment
Growing up knowing I was gay was a feeling that was odd, but it eventually granted me the ability to build up the courage to accept myself. Not only was I a scared child, I wasn’t really educated on how many gay people there were in the world. I kind of felt like a black sheep for some reason. Maybe, I thought, it was because I found myself at such a young age?  When I started becoming more open about my sexuality, I realized that a lot of my peers were just like me. Coming from a family that is traditional and not very welcoming, it was a subject that was super sensitive to me. As I grew more comfortable, I discovered school clubs, events, and even locations that were
Read more
Blog image

Riding the Rails on Christmas: Helping Homeless LGBTQIA Youth

By : December 18, 2020 01 Comment
In the dead of winter in Chicago, an African-American male teen sits asleep on an L Train during an early morning rush hour commute. His clothes -  a white t-shirt which he folds his arms inside to shield them from the cold, and blue jeans - are stained with dirt. The tongues of his white laceless, well-worn gym shoes stand stiff. The muddy laces limp on the cold train’s wet rubber flooring. His dreadlocked hair is filled with lint and other debris. His face is bruised, tired, and sunk in. His skin is dry, muddied, and peeling. He is Homeless. He sits alone in the far back corner. The morning commuters board, frown at the mere sight of him, walk in the opposite direction, and sit. It is prudent to
Read more
Blog image

A Letter to the Aces

By : December 9, 2020 Comments Off
From one ace to another, here are a few things that I want to tell you:  Asexuality is a real orientation, no matter what anyone else says. People who identify as asexual make up about 1% of the population. Even though that is a small percentage of people, it still adds up to about 78 million people! No matter what society tells you, there are 78 million other people around the world who can prove them wrong. You are not alone. You can think that people look attractive. When I first discovered asexuality, I was very confused about how I could be asexual, but also find people attractive. This made me really uncomfortable for a while, because I thought that I couldn’t be asexual and also think that people are
Read more
Blog image

The Records

By : December 9, 2020 Comments Off
It was a bright sunny day. I can’t even remember what day it was. I just know it was a weekday ‘cause I am in the middle of a real estate task. My special someone whom I have been living with for eight years and I are both at home. We just finished our pancakes while laughing at some memes from social media. I can call it an easy day. There is a sudden knock on our front door. As I open the door, I am confused to see this unfamiliar lady with a white polo shirt on and a couple of folders in her arms. I managed to say, “Yes? What is it?”.  The lady discussed that they are about to conduct a Census for our district. As I
Read more
Blog image

Thanksgiving Hate Mail

By : November 29, 2020 01 Comment
On Thanksgiving morning, I woke up feeling relaxed, refreshed and determined to knock out some work before celebrating one of my favorite ( albeit subdued because of the pandemic) holidays. That was short-lived when I checked my emails around 8 AM. "You should've killed yourself back in 05." It was a simple pointed message from someone named Alvaro C in response to an ad placed on Craigslist in DC to recruit new writers. My initial reaction was, "Well, this person has nothing else better to do with their lives," and laughed it off. Over the next hour or so, I thought of at least 50 different responses that I could've sent to this message, from passive-aggressive phrases to expletive-laden rants. In the end, I had to remind myself of one
Read more
Blog image

Hello World

By : November 26, 2020 Comments Off
Hello to everyone out there in this massive, amazing, crazy, and concerningly overcomplicated world.  I am a transgender woman. That's fun to say. I'm a trans woman! I am a woman. This is new to me. Rather, being willing to say that I am, is. I've known something about myself was feminine since I was eleven or twelve, I think. Something about me was hidden, existing in the shadows of my personality, while the rest of me was sort of muddled throughout my life. I was disconnected. Life happened to other people while this guy I was supposed to be just worked, ate, and existed.  I'm breaking down that barrier of shadows and self doubt and putting the pieces of myself back together, and the real me is so happy
Read more